Do you remember the structure of high school? That’s what a lot of us are missing in the workplace.
In high school we had structured periods to work on one subject at a time and bells to tell us when to stop and move to the next subject. We even had scheduled breaks and time for lunch.
Here’s how you can put some of the structure from high school into your workday.
- Get to work and leave at the same time each day.
- Plan an extracurricular activity for after work so that you are more likely to stop work and leave on time.
- Set up blocks of work like classes and only work on that task/project during that time frame.
- Use alarms to keep you moving from task to task.
- Plan a lunch period and give yourself breaks in between tasks.